Partner – Commercial Law, Creditor Rights, Business Litigation
213.842.3496 (direct) ▪ firstname.lastname@example.org ▪ vcard
Melody Shabpareh ▪ 310.890.0436 (direct) ▪ email@example.com
Richard Macias brings 35 years of experience to his commercial law and business litigation practice. He represents financial institutions, manufacturers, and trade suppliers in matters involving negotiation and drafting of business contracts, contract enforcement lawsuits, debt recovery, bankruptcy, antitrust compliance, contract terminations, appeals, and e-commerce and technology issues. Richard also prepares personal and business fiduciary selection documents, including comprehensive powers of attorney, and commercial credit documentation.
Richard has worn many hats as a lawyer. Early in his career, he served as a prosecutor in the Criminal Division of the Los Angeles City Attorney, and as Special Counsel to the City Attorney. Then, as an Assistant Professor of Law at Loyola Law School, he taught civil procedure, trial skills, negotiation, legal writing and legal ethics. Richard left academia and has been in private practice since 1989. He headed up civil trial teams as a partner with major local and national law firms, before co-founding Macias Kumagai PC.
Richard is a frequent speaker for business and trade groups on business and commercial, trade-credit and antitrust law.
Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Beverly Hills Bar Association – Intellectual Property, Internet and New Technology Section, former Executive Committee member
- American Bar Association, member
- UCLA Extension – Business, Management and Legal Programs Credit Certificate Program, Advisory Board member
- Anti-Defamation League of Los Angeles
- Latino-Jewish Roundtable
- U.S. Court of Appeals: Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central and Northern Districts of California
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Colorado
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV – Preeminent Rating™
- Harvard Law School
- Harvard Civil Rights/Civil Liberties Law Review
- J.D., 1975
- Pomona College, B.A., History, 1972