Partner – Commercial, Real Estate and Creditor Rights Litigation
Melody Shabpareh ▪ +1 310.890.0436 (direct) ▪ firstname.lastname@example.org
Duane Kumagai is a career California trial attorney who specializes in business and real estate litigation, and protecting creditors in bankruptcy cases.
His clients hail from diverse industries, such as technology, banking & financial, commercial real estate, entertainment, manufacturing, automotive, transportation, construction, apparel, franchising, food, pharmaceuticals, advertising, retail, international trade and clean energy. Duane’s objective in every engagement: achieving the best possible outcome for his client, whether in the courtroom or at the negotiating table
Duane regularly appears before the U.S. District Court, U.S. Bankruptcy Court and California Superior Court throughout the state. He has tried cases – and prevailed – in all three courts. A recognized expert on provisional and post-judgment remedies and presents to bar organizations on a variety of related topics. For example, at a recent conference of international lawyers, he led a panel presentation on enforcement of domestic and foreign judgments.
Prior to co-founding Macias Kumagai PC, Duane practiced with prominent California law firms, and as managing partner of the Los Angeles office of a national law firm.
A native Angeleno, Duane supports various local bar, civic and academic organizations . . . and roots for the Dodgers and Lakers!
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court – Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of California
- California Supreme Court
- California Court of Appeal
- State Bar of California
Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Century City Bar Association, Governor and former President (2015-2017)
- The U.S.-Mexico Bar Association
- The Esquire Network, Moderator
- California Minority Counsel Program – former board member
- Westside United Professionals, co-founder
- Super Lawyers®: Business Litigation (2018–present)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV – Preeminent Rating™
- New York University School of Law
- J.D., 1985
- Vassar College
- A.B., English, 1981